Thursday, March 11, 2010

Back to Work

My first couple weeks back at work have been a lot better than I expected. For some reason, I was really nervous about my first day. I think I had it in my head that it was going to be just like my first day back in September, when I didn’t know what the heck I was doing. But amazingly, I walked in March 1st and just kind of picked up where I left off. I can’t even explain how much more comfortable I am with teaching than I was 6 months ago. I’ve got the flow down now. I know my kids and I know what they’re capable of. I know when I can push them, coddle them, lecture them, and laugh with them. I still get a little bit nervous before each class, and I don’t really know why. The only way to explain it is that it’s like putting on a play everyday. Even if you’ve done it a thousand times, you can still get stage fright. Teaching isn’t one of those jobs that you can just hide out behind your desk when you’re having a bad day…the show must go on!

We just got our official end date: June 25th! I can’t believe I only have 3 ½ months left here…plus we have a few long weekends between now and then, which means some more opportunities to travel! In a way I’m really excited about returning home. This has been a hard year, and I miss people and food and just the little conveniences of home. But on the other hand, I’m stressing about going back. Life here is virtually stress free…no bills, no money problems, 3 hour work days…you get the picture. When I go home, I have to start paying all my own bills for the first time, I have to get a “real” job, and technically be an adult. No more 5 week paid holidays, no more free afternoons to do whatever I want, no more being cooked for everyday. But I guess it had to happen eventually, and I think coming here was a good transitional period from college to the “real world.” And if anyone wants to hire me when I get back, I’m great with Microsoft Office and IMC tools :)

No comments:

Post a Comment